Wednesday 2 January 2008

Funding For Fitness

While going to China to Trek the Great Wall and make as much money as possible for Scope seemed like a fantastic idea, the last couple of days have completely failed to produce any methods at all for just how we are going to get the money that we need. Undoubtedly £5400 is no small amount and so, while a tombola and a sponsored silence might pay for a taxi to the airport, it certainly isn't going to see us all the way to the mysterious East. Thus, we've realized that to get as much money for the charity as possible some sizeable events will have to be planned. And lots of them.

To say the guy at the gym this morning gave me a 'knowing smile' would be an understatement. As I remember it he looked up, laughed, looked back down, shook his head and then handed me the 'new members form' and a pen whilst obviously trying to hold back the laughter and said 'New Years resolution is it?' And he's right, it is, but cleverly I've managed to incentivise. Not only have I found a reason to go to gym but I've also found an excuse for paying the membership fee. You see, no longer have I joined a gym because I'm a bit podgy and would rather waste money than go on an all out diet, I have joined a gym because I am 'in training.'


I am in training for the first part of 'Operation: Make Money For Trek China 2008.' It's basically a sponsored walk. Specifically it is a sponsored walk across the notoriously difficult first day of the Pennine Way in the Peak District from Edale to Crowden and I am on a mission to get everybody I know involved. I've sent out emails and text messages, I've phoned people and arranged to meet several others and I do not intend to stop until everyone I know has agreed to take part and has taken a sponsorship form and a begging letter to their places of employ.


It's no great shakes. But it's a start.


Ben

No comments: